St Mary’s Church Alakode On the banks of the river Alakode stands, the St Mary’s church, Alakode as a monument of migration to Malabar. Alakode Parish is one among the earlier parishes of Tellicherry Diocese. The Tellicherry diocese was formed in 1953.
On 15 1955, the day of assumption of St Mary, and the day of our independence, St Mary’s Church Alakode was erected into an independent parish by the Bishop of Tellichrry Mar Sebastian Vallopally. Rev Fr Jecob Nedumpally was appointed as the first vicar of this parish. From November 1956 Rev Fr Joseph Kunnel was the parish priest. In those days a vast area from Taliparamba to Kudak forest was under this parish.
It was Sebastian Thevarodickal who donated ten acres of land to the Parish. In the beginning the church was a temporary shed. The present church was constructed in 1960 and it was blessed consecrated on May 1 Plathottam, the third vicar of the parish who took leadership in the construction of the Church.
Alakode is a place of religious harmony. Thousands of devotees of Alakode and surrounding places irrespective of religion, cast and creed celebrate the festival of Holy Mary in the second week of January.
So many developmental works were successfully carried out under the leadership of the parish priests. At present Mary Matha Arts and Science College is run by the parish. The double storied parish hall is of much use to the people for their celebrations.
St Mary’s English Medium School run by the C J sisters and Nirmala U P School managed by the Sacred Heart Convent Serves the educational needs of the locality. Alakode is a place blessed by St Mary the mother of Jesus. th August st 1965. It was Rev.Fr Joseph
All Rights Reserved & Site Developed By Sparrow Multimedia Alakode